Best Dealer of British Gold Britannia in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV

The Britannia is a one troy ounce gold coin minted exclusively by one of the world’s most prestigious national mints, the British Royal Mint. Since its launch over twenty-five years ago, Britannia has become well known in the international gold market and has been purchased by investors and collectors alike. The coin was named after the female personification of Britain, Britannia. Britannia was a warrior queen who protected Britain from invasion and persecution. The warrior has been Britain’s symbol for centuries dating back to the Roman Empire.

Brief History

The need to create and produce a one-ounce British gold bullion coin was brought about by the development in the international marketplace of bullion coins. It was the United Kingdom Treasury that evidently noticed the demand for a British coin that could compete with similar one-ounce gold coins issued by the Canadian, U.S., and South Africa national mints.

Back in the early 1970s, the South African Krugerrand was the first one-ounce gold coin to be produced on the market. In fact, with its widespread commercial success, international demand for a one-ounce gold coin was ignited. Consequently, the Royal Canadian Mint launched the Canadian Gold Maple Leaf in 1979. This was followed by the US Mint in its market launching of the one-ounce Gold Eagle coin in 1986. This successive trend led to the production of the Royal Mint in 1987 of the Gold Britannia.

Queen Elizabeth II through the Privy Council Office officially directed the Royal Mint to produce the Britannia in 1987. Then, the new coin was formally announced by the then Chancellor of the Exchequer and Master of the Mint, Nigel Lawson. Until then, a competition was held by the Mint to finally select a design that would embody it. 52 designs were made by 14 designers. But it was Philip Nathan’s design that won and was selected by the judging panel.

Design of British Gold Britannia

The reverse face of the 2013 coin features the well-known Britannia design by sculptor, Philip Nathan, created for the coin’s 1987 launch. It is referred to as a “Standing Britannia’. The female figure of Britannia is portrayed in long flowing robes wearing a Corinthian helmet while standing on a rock in the sea. This visual depiction signifies strength while alluding to Britain’s naval tradition. In her right hand, Britannia holds a trident, while her left hand holds an olive branch that rests on a shield. These symbolize both peace and protection.

“ONE OUNCE FINE GOLD BRITANNIA” and the year of issue, 2013 are the word in a circular inscription of the coin. The outer circle features a repeated pattern of square indentations which is described as a crenelated pattern. It encircles the scene that is alluding to battlements and fortifications. Below the scene is the tiny inscription of the sculptor’s surname ‘NATHAN’.

An effigy of Queen Elizabeth II highlights the obverse face of the 2013 coin. It was created by sculptor, Ian Rank-Broadley. The words” ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA F.D.” and the face value of “100 POUNDS” are engraved in a circular inscription around the head of the coin. DEI GRATIA REGINA F.D. is a Latin abbreviation for “Dei Gratia Regina Fidei Defensor” which means “By the Grace of God, Queen, Defender of the Faith”. The obverse also references Rank-Broadley’s name in the form of his initials, ‘IRB’ below the Queen’s portrait.

British Gold Britannia Value

When the gold Britannia was first minted in 1987 until 2012, its gold content was 91.7% fine gold or 22-karats, with the remaining 8.3% being copper until 1989 and silver in 1990 onwards. In 2012, the Royal Mint switched to using .9999 fine gold or 24-karats. 

The most recent release of the Britannia in 2013 saw the Royal Mint move to a 99.99% pure gold version of the coin. The Britannia is legal tender in the UK and so is capital gains tax exempt for UK investors, and, since the Britannia meets the requirements for EU investment gold, it can be purchased free of VAT across the European Union.

The coins typically have one troy ounce of gold and a face value of £100. It is also available in other size denominations of ½, ¼, and 1/10 of a troy ounce with the corresponding face values of £50, £25, and £10. Two more sizes were released in 2013 a 5-ounce coin with a face value of £500 and a 1/20 of a troy ounce with a face value of £5.

We Buy British Gold Britannia

Nevada Coin Mart is the #1 British Gold Britannia buyer in Las Vegas and Henderson, Nevada. Using a state-of-the-art Thermo Scientific Niton X-Ray Spectrometer to analyze and measure precious metal contents in your piece accurately, we assure you that you get top-dollar for your items. 

We are open 365 times a year, from 9 am to 6 pm. Come visit us at Nevada Coin Mart® 4065 S. Jones Blvd Las Vegas, NV 89103 or call us up at 702-998-4000.